Joining Reina and Christina today is Jeff Goins, an author and a full-time blogger, speaker, and entrepreneur. Jeff is here talking about his new book and the way artists need to shift their mindset. He chats all about artists throughout history have flourished, but artists now seem to think that all artists starve. Jeff also talks about some myths that he disproves in his book about artists such as: not practicing in public, that big breaks are something that can just happen, and the idea of recreation. The trio then chat about the differences he sees in men and women in the creative industry. Closing they chat about where Jeff sees himself going and some advice he would have given himself.
- What his backstory is behind the book, Real Artists Don’t Starve [0:01:25]
- Why he thinks artist are choose to be poor [0:12:59]
- What some of the myths are that he disproves in his book [0:18:18]
- How to market as an artist [0:20:35]
- What a “big break” looks like [0:26:42]
- Why you should not believe “big leap” stories [0:33:24]
- What the differences in mindset from men and women in the creative industry [0:36:30]
- How to deal with criticism + reflecting on the negative reviews [0:42:43]
- What his advice to himself is [0:49:54]
I didn’t know what I wanted to do or be in so I just knew that making stuff and sharing it with people is really exciting to me.
- Jeff’s Book: Real Artists Don’t Starve
- Madeleine L’Engle
- Rab Hatfield
- Bill Wallace
- Henri Murger
- Austin Kleon
- Moulin Rouge
- Gertrude Stein
- Lisa Congdon
- Walter Mathau
- Jim Collins
- John Grisham’s Book: The Firm
- Long Miles Coffee Company
- Elizabeth Gilbert – Big Magic
- Jody Noland – Leave Nothing Unsaid
- Chris Guillebeau
Jeff Goins is the author of four books, including the national best seller, The Art of Work. He is also a full-time blogger, speaker, and entrepreneur. Originally from Chicago, Goins graduated from Illinois College and spent the next year on the road with a band. After that, he moved to Nashville to chase a girl and spent the next seven years working at a nonprofit. He now writes and speaks for a living and runs an online business helping writers and creative entrepreneurs chase their dreams. Jeff’s award-winning blog, GoinsWriter.com, has been visited by over four million people from around the world. His work has been featured in the Washington Post, USA Today, Entrepreneur, Forbes, and Psychology Today. He and his wife, Ashley, live just outside of Nashville, TN with their son and dog.
Do you love what you’ve heard?
Add this graphic to your Insta Story!